Cover of a book makes the first impression on its potential readers and decides their attention span on the book and even the purchase decision. A good cover is an important marketing tool but if done un-professionally it can result in the direct loss of sales. This is why a good book cover is very important for a writer as it can significantly influence the success or failure of the book. If an author opts for self-publishing he also has to pay attention to another very important aspect of the book i.e. covers design.
If a Writer decides to design the cover of his work on his own it may not be enough and workable, Amidst several others professionally designed books. This is where professional book cover design agencies can help the writer as they have a talented pool of graphic designers with the right knowledge and experience to design an appealing cover. They use the latest IT tools to customize your book cover by various illustrations, graphics, and photographs to give it a unique look.
Before zeroing in on a professional design agency a writer should check out the following points.
1. Track record – Ask the design firm about their track record designing similar in your specific sub-genre. One should also have a look at their portfolio and also does some reference check.
2. Process orientation – Ask questions to the prospective design company regarding the process or methodology for designing the cover. A good design company would research your genre, access image libraries and closely pay attention to your creative brief.
3. Customization – Check out the level of customization that the book cover design firm offers for your work. Fetching images from image libraries though may be cost-effective but may be used by others too which won’t give your design exclusivity.
4. Payment structure – Look out for the fee and payment structure part that the design company charges, some may require payment prior to the beginning of any design work while others may have some other payment structure. Be sure that you are comfortable with the payment structure before the start of any work.
5. Delivery – Most design companies will send you a high-resolution PDF or JPG file of the final design. Do ask them for In-design or Photoshop file if you want the flexibility to tweak book cover in the future.
6- Turnaround time– Check out the turnaround time of cover design partner especially if you have tight deadlines. Make sure that the design company is investing the necessary amount of time and effort into making your book cover stand out.
Some of the benefits of hiring a professional book cover design agency for writers are mentioned below.
1. Grab buyer’s attention – There are numerous books hitting the stores every week but the ones that stand out and grab maximum eyeballs have a catchy book cover. The cover should be good enough to persuade the reader and capture the theme of the story without revealing too much to them.
2. Professional team – A good design service provider will provide you with a competent team with knowledge of history, typography, color theory, and graphic arts to create a unique book cover for you. They have experienced graphic designers to add stylish graphics using various IT tools for design to make your book standout in-crowd.
3. Keeps the binding together – Books are placed on the bookshelf; while readers are able to only see the spine of the book. A creative and quality design can make readers interested along with keeping the edges of the book intact.
4. Product packaging – Books are not sold in a box but their cover itself is a built-in wrapper that does all the marketing while on the shelf. By choosing a professional book cover design company one can enhance the marketing aspect of the book through the cover design and attract potential readers.
5. Cost-effective – Professional cover design agencies are also very cost-effective when compared to hiring an independent freelancer or self-designing. As there is no setup cost involved and no IT hardware or software needs to be bought, outsourcing the cover design becomes much more cost-effective.